Saturday, July 6, 2013

Christmas in July Bloghop: Sea Side Gift Card Holders

Welcome to the Christmas In July Blog Hop~Christmas Gift Card Edition! We've got some talented Cricut crafters lined up and they can't wait to show you the Gift Card Holder they created! So make sure you visit each blog in the hop and leave a comment. Not only because we all love comments, but because each blog you comment on will give you an entry in the prize drawings! This week's prize is a brand new Gingerbread cart! They winner will be drawn from all the entries on Fri, July 12. And, the prize drawing at the end of the month is for a brand new Christmas {Noel} cart! So, be sure to follow my blog and comment here before going to the next blog.

Here's my project:   Sea Side Gift Card Holder
Grab your Gypsy or log into Cricut Craft Room The tag base is from Tags, Bags, Boxes & More (last one on top row).  Cut 2 tags.  I like the shape of this tag and it can be stretched different ways and still looks great.  I used the real dial size off and unclicked the ratio link so I could size my tags to 2.56 wide by4.79 high.  I cut the wave from Cricut Essentials (4th one last row) real dial on 2.85 wide by 2.13 high.  You need 2 of these.  I flipped the shapes to make the pocket.  On one of the little photo corners hide the cut line at the bottom and side.  The second photo corner will be cut regular but you only need the insude piece.  I think this picture explains it all.
 

 
After I cut the pieces I used chalk to color them.  I used my cuttlebug to emboss the shapes using the  swirls folder.  Be sure to wash your cuttlebug folder when finished.  After embossing add a little highlights to the raised part of the tags.

 
Colored pieces

Pieces with highlights added


 I then assembled the tags by placing adhesive on the larger photo.  Leave an 1/8" edge around the bottom and one side of the tag. Fold this edge over to the back.  Them place the smaller photo corner inner piece on the tag (this piece just enhances the ocean wave effect).
Back view.  This overlapped edge keeps the card in place.


Assembled tag!!
 
 
 
Now that the tag is finished on to the sand castle!The castle is cut from Pirates and Mermaids at 3.05" (9th one last row).  I used chalk to iridescent chalk to color these shapes (pink orange and yellow).  It give them a bit of sparkle.  I used geometric circles to emboss the pieces.

Cut pieces
Pieces with color and embossing

 

 

 
Now assemble the castle and add it the tag. 
 

 
 
Take the second tag and apply your favorite adhesive then place on the back of your assembled tag (this hides that overlapped edge and the embossing). Place a Christmas sentiment on the bottom back.  Add ribbon and stickers to the front of your tag and you have a finished gift card holder. 


 

Blogger wont rotate this for me
Your next stop is Besty at http://betsymcreates.blogspot.com/

and here is the entire line up in case you get lost along the way:

25 comments:

  1. I love this tag idea, very creative! Also love the Seaside theme, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this gift card holder. You have added a clever idea to my tag uses. I never thought of using a tag as a gift card holder. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute theme. All your steps created a wonderful tag with so many great textures. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute love the castle!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the seaside theme and the embossing and inking make this really stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful artistic summer theme -- love the tag idea and will definitely be making some of them. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! The embossing and colors are beautiful. What a wonderful idea for a gift card holder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great gift card holder Idea. Never thought of using a tag like this. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! Thanks for being in the hop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute idea to incorporate summer with Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The tag and sea castle ideas are very clever! Super easy when you are in a hurry :) thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love beach themes and your tags are great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't seen gift card holders made this way before. Its a good day when you learn something new. Great holders. TFS.
    D~ Dragonfly50 (MB)
    http://designsbydragonfly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful tag -- love the sea side theme!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, love it! TFS
    motherloves3@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. AHA - another GREAT use for TAGS. I do especially love the techniques you used.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like how you turned the tag into a gift card holder - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute. Your instructions seem easy enough for me to follow so I'll try this too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super cute! Love the coloured chalk effect. TFS! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very pretty. I love the techniques you used.

    ReplyDelete