Saturday, July 27, 2013

Christmas Badge/ID Holder

Welcome to the Christmas In July Blog Hop~ Anything Goes Edition! We've got some talented Cricut crafters lined up and they can't wait to show you the ornaments they created! So make sure you visit each blog in the hop and leave a comment. Not only because we all love comments, but because each blog you comment on will give you an entry in the prize drawings!  The prize drawing at the end of the month is for a brand new Christmas {Noel} cart! So, be sure to follow my blog and comment here before going to the next blog.
 
Now on to my project:  Christmas badge/ID holder.
All images are cut at 4.5".  I used Christmas and Christmas Village to create the badge holder. I love to make Shrinky Dinks.  I use the Shrinky Dink brand Rough and Ready type of shrink film.  You can use any brand you want.   Shriny Dink can be used in so many different ways. This project requires a different set of instructions. 
 
  1.  Use the gypsy or Cricut Craft Room to plan the shapes you want to cut.
  2.  Open a new page with the gypsy or CCR and line-up the blackout cuts that correspond to the cuts from step 1. 
  3. Replace the blade with a Cricut marker.  Cut the shapes as usual.  I used a rose marker I've had for several years. 
  4. To make these charms use Cricut makers to "cut" draw the images on the shrink plastic.  When finished drawing the shapes KEEP the mat loaded.
  5. Press the "Return to Design" button.  Click on the page that has your shadow cuts.  Use a deep cut blade and set multi-cut to 3.  Cut shapes as you would normally.
Shapes colored and ready for the heat gun.

You should have a "coloring book" type shape.  I used Mark-It markers to color my designs.  They are a poor man's version of copic markers.  Do note that the color will intensify when shrunk. I use my heat gun and a left over glazed bathroom tile to shrink the Shrinky Dinks.








Once the charms were created I used hemp cording and pony beads to create the badge holder.  I tied a square knot when I finished stringing the beads instead of trying to attach a closure.  I put a large amount of glue on the knot to seal the ends.  The badge holder is about 40 inches long. 

Shrunken shapes ready to string.

You can use any theme you want.  Use beading wire and glass beads for a more sophisticated look.  The length can be varied as needed.  Have fun a make a badge holder!! After you check out the rest of our Blog Hop.  You should go to Betsy at http://betsymcreates.blogspot.com/.

Finished badge/ID holder.


 
 
 
Here's the complete lineup, just in case you started somewhere in the middle,
 

23 comments:

  1. Love it!!! How creative, someone had mentioned shrinky dinks on the board this week... I haven't ever tried it you've inspired me to give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creative idea. I have not yet tried shrinky dinks. Love your project! Thank you for the detailed instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun project! I've wanted to try shrinky dinks, but never have. I think you may have just given me the push to try.

    http://happyscrapper64.blogspot.com/
    HappyScrapper64@bex.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea - love the Shrinky Dinks and the seasonal lanyard. Thank you for the tips and techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great project! I have a pack of Shrinky Dinks that have never been open. I'm going to have to start playing.
    Fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I didn't know you could use a heat gun to shrink the shrinky dinks. (what a fun name, eh?) TFS that tip! :-)

    Your badge holder is adorable. TFS! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so need to try playing with the shrink paper like this. How much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a unique idea! I love the idea of shrinky dinks, although I never use them they look like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!! I want some shrinky dink paper!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love me some shrinky dinks! And your's are so darling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool is that? I do have shrinky dink material, but I've never used the draw feature on it. In fact, this weekend is the first time I've EVER used pens in my Cricut! LOL! Thanks for the great instructions. I may have to make a few ornaments for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute! Thanks for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your badge/id necklace! That is a fun idea when you have to wear that for work!

    Tracy G

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful ID holder! I have always wanted to try shrinky dinks with my E but I don't know how big to cut things compared to the size I want them to be!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this. What a fun way to dress up an ID. TFS.
    D~
    http://designsbydragonfly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your shrink art. I have lots and have wanted to try cutting it with the cricut but was never sure about it. Thanks for the instructions.
    motherloves3@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, what a great idea!! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! This is just plain fun and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I completely forgot about the shrinking stuff. I played with it at a convention and then forgot all about it! Cute idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are a fun project to try with the kids. Going to keep this mind for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a cute project -- love the Shrinky Dinks!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so intrigued by using the cricut and shrinky dinks together. This is such a cute badge holder for the holidays I'm going to have try this. TFS

    ReplyDelete